- Over-explanation. This includes prologues. “Prologues are never needed. You can usually throw them in the garbage. They’re usually put on as a patch.”
- Too much data. “You’re trying to seduce your reader, not burden them,” Friedman said.
- Over-writing, or “trying too hard.” “We think the more description we add, the more vivid it will be; but we don’t want to be distracted from the story” we open the book for.
- Beginning the novel with an interior monologue or reflection. Usually this is written as the thoughts of a character who is sitting alone, musing and thinking back on a story. Just start with the story.
- Beginning the novel with a flashback. Friedman isn’t entirely anti-flashback, but the novel’s opening page is the wrong place for one.
- Beginning a novel with the “waking up sequence” of a character waking, getting out of bed, putting on slippers, heading for the kitchen and coffee…a cliche
- Related cliche: beginning the novel with an alarm clock or a ringing phone
- Starting out with an “ordinary day’s routine” for the main character
- Beginning with “crisis moments” that aren’t unique: “When the doctor said ‘malignant,’ my life changed forever…” or “The day my father left us I was seven years old…”
- Don’t start with a dialogue that doesn’t have any context. Building characterization through dialogue is okay anywhere else but there.
- Starting with backstory, or “going back, then going forward.”
- Info dump. More formally called “exposition.”
- Character dump, which is four or more characters on the first page.
Fanfic authors: READ THE WHOLE FUCKING PAGE
THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT AND VALUABLE LESSONS YOU CAN LEARN AS A WRITER. I SAY THIS AS A READER AND A PROFESSIONAL GENRE EDITOR.
the problem with tumblr is that you arrive all fresh and innocent with your otps and your canon-compliant headcanons, but you’re on here long enough and one day you realize its 1 am and all your otps have turned into threesomes and you’re trying to figure out how they could conceivably all become art thieves and/or space pirates.
getting nice messages like
replying to said messages:
- James realizing in fourth year that Sirius never talks about girls or about anyone really and he kinda asks Sirius about it and Sirius just shrugs
- James asking Remus why he was with Lily all the time and getting jealous and Remus is just laughing like “trust me she’s not my type” and james is just like “what’s that supposed to mean????”
- James going to Peter about this and Peter just rolls his eyes like “jfc they’re queer okay how thick can you be”
- James trying to process this new information and trying to set them up like leaving them alone in the room or suggesting that Remus should tutor Sirius in Charms and leaving them alone or sending Remus chocolate with a card signed with Sirius’ name
- James, after making sure Remus is okay in the hospital, leaves with Peter so that Sirius is alone with him after the full moon
- James insisting that he and Peter partner up for Potions so that leaves Remus and Sirius together and he’s just smiling like an idiot as Remus and Sirius sit super close together, Sirius guiding Remus with how to stir the potion correctly, Remus wiping a stain off Sirius’ shirt even when he can totally just use magic and james is just there like i am such a genius this is totally working i am so good at this oh they owe me big time
- James walking into the dormitory to find Remus sitting between Sirius’ legs, lying back against his chest, asleep, as Sirius reads and James is like so fucking ecstatic like “JFC CONGRATS YOU GUYS I KNEW YOU WOULDN’T TAKE THAT LONG OMG SO HOW DID YOU GUYS REALIZE YOU HAD TOTAL HARD ONS FOR EACH OTHER YOU KNOW THIS IS MY DOING I’VE BEEN HELPING YOU GUYS GET TOGETHER FOR LIKE A MONTH NOW THANK ME, PADFOOT” and sirius just stares at him like “james we’ve been shagging for like half a year now but yeah thanks for letting us use the dormitory for a month and those chocolates were fantastic too but if you don’t mind, please stop screaming my boyfriend is trying to sleep”
- James doesn’t talk to them for a week
Okay but I mean imagine
• Sirius wearing leather jackets and ripped skinny jeans and combat boots.
• Remus wearing sweaters and baggy jeans and sneakers.
• Sirius being seen with a cigarette between his lips more often than not and always having a faint stubble on his chin.
• Remus always smelling of soap and scrunching up his nose when either James or Sirius lit up a smoke.
• Sirius practically never studying or handing in homework but somehow always getting top marks on all of his classes. (The asshole)
• Remus probably being the smartest wizard of their year but still working till ungodly hours and always having ink stains somewhere in his persona.
• Sirius listening to The Clash and Pink Floyd and the Sex Pistols and Queen.
• Remus listening to the Beatles and Elton John and Abba.
• Sirius always having his tie undone and at least three buttons of his shirt propped open.
• Remus always having a perfectly made tie and his shirt buttoned all the way up.
• And yet Sirius was the one who always brought Remus flowers and wrote him poems and hummed romantic lyrics in his ear.
• And Remus was the one who slammed him against the corridor’s wall leaving him as a panting, whimpering mess as Remus winked and casually left to Charms.
(Because Sirius thought he was punk rock but he really really wasn’t)
When people on the internet cosplay
When I cosplay
when someone mentions marvel
When someone mentions Doctor Who
When someone mentions Sherlock
When someone mentions Supernatural…or doesn’t, either way
When someone mentions Megamind
When someone mentions whales around Dani
you want more aus? i’ll give you more aus
- met standing in the reallllllly long queue for the dressing rooms au
- lifeguards at a summer camp au
- you’ve been playing guitar in the hall of the hotel since three in the morning and i came down to tell you to shut the fuck up au
- the 5 cent hug for charity you offered me on the street really brought out our amazing chemistry au
- awkward teenage spin the bottle/seven minutes in heaven au
- dungeons and dragons au
i blame this
‘I suppose we could stay here for a bit longer,’ she mumbled, tangling her fingers into his hair.
Teddy rubbed his nose against her collarbone and tugged her closer. Despite it being three o’clock in the afternoon, the room was dim with only a small amount of light spilling through the gaps in the curtains. Teddy and Victoire were nestled in the warmth of the bed; rumpled sheets and pillows lay underneath them as they curled together, finding a moment alone away from the madness of Victoire’s family.
‘Although,’ she mumbled, shifting her arms around his neck, ‘mama will be bursting into the room at any moment, I’m sure. Or papa, or James, or—’
‘Victoire,’ Teddy mumbled as he tilted his chin up, ‘try and enjoy the moment. We don’t get them that often.’
What’s scary is that you KNOW the majority of young men receive the OPPOSITE kinds of messages both from their parents and the culture around them. And then people are surprised or defensive when a so-called “good” guy takes advantage of a women. And excuses are made to make her at fault, rather than blaming the perpetrator and all those who taught him for his entire life that what he did wasn’t really wrong. Rape culture is a cycle, and education like that shown above is what can help break it down.
and it’s not just excuses made; it’s the complete lack of empathy towards a rape victim. it’s the endless news programs that talk about the rapists’ bright futures and how awful this must be for them and their family while shoving rape victims under the carpet so that we can pretend they don’t exist. they can literally post pictures and videos of the rape on the internet, and all we go is, ‘oh son, be more careful about what you put in public for people to see.’
corsetiere: KMK Design